Sunday, October 2, 2011

I Heart My Nyonya Kebaya

I Heart My Nyonya Kebaya:
Written Originally by Jennifer Soh Li Wen, 2nd October 2011, Sunday, 10:43 p.m.-11:38 p.m., Specially Dedicated to Peter Soh Weng Khai

An ordinary boy,
Reading Lat’s Kampung Boy;
Listening to Susan Boyle,
A descendant of Yap Ah Loy.

Born in the Malacca Town,
I don’t have to frown;
As I love a typical gown,
No, I’m not a clown.

The Baba and Nyonya,
A heritage I knew since young;
They make my heart so girang,
I love to see them minum petang.

Even though I am a boy,
I can see the joy;
Of wearing the Nyonya Kebaya,
It is never only for Hari Raya.

I’m now a grown up man,
A real man with a tan;
I’m very proud of my motherland,
It makes me feel like I’m in wonderland.

Here I am standing tall,
I’ve made a decision once and for all;
No one will see me fall,
I roll fast like a ball.

It runs in my blood,
It flies high like a bird;
It speaks louder than a word,
I want my tradition to be heard.

A collection of the Nyonya Kebaya,
Now I have up to nine;
Yes, they are all mine,
Each has their own shine of cahaya.

The ninth is my latest,
It is as special as the first;
I’ve tailor made it into the male version,
My fitting today was perfection.

I’m a mobile person,
I go from places to places;
I don’t have to give a reason,
If people give me funny faces.

I am who I am,
I wear what I like to wear;
I don’t have to act like Sam,
Each of us has our own custom to share.

The Nyonya Kebaya is a beautiful art,
It is ever so close to my heart;
Nothing can tear or break us apart,
I’d love to have it shown in Wal-Mart.

This is my identity,
This is my destiny;
This is my priority,
This is my victory.

To know me is to know the Nyonya Kebaya,
Why must you think I’m that different?
If you have the money also you can’t bayar,
It is that priceless and the value is vibrant.

As a conclusion,
I’m into fashion;
My own style is my own total and soulful desire,
Now if you’d excuse me, I heart my Nyonya Kebaya

No comments: