Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Behold the Dragon!"


“Behold the Dragon!”
Written Originally by Jennifer Soh Li Wen, 23rd October 2011, Sunday, 9:52 p.m.-10:48 p.m., In My Middle Room, U.H., Penang, Specially Dedicated to Peter Soh Weng Khai

As the airplane flew by,
As my dream came by;
I wish I can fly,
So high to touch the sky.

When I was younger,
A brother to my lovely sister;
Being a humble student,
I have a statement.

I was deserted,
Very much isolated;
Call me blacklisted,
It made me unwanted.

I had no friend,
To befriend;
They saw me as an ant,
They said I can’t.

I thought,
I am being who I am;
I bought,
I am in the midst of a traffic jam.

I need to release myself,
For I am being myself;
No more labeling,
No more self-battling.

I keep my mind straight,
Even up-to-date;
Hopefully the lucky number eight,
Will give me good fate.

From primary to secondary,
I saw improvements in my studies;
From secondary to tertiary,
I have proven I can handle this.

A bit of a flashback,
When I was a prefect;
I was attacked,
In this world who is perfect?

It was so bad,
I had to clean up the mess;
The words were so bad,
They appeared in my class after recess.

FYI,
I am nothing like that;
Look at me in the eye,
Apologize for insulting my Mom and my Dad.

I am in this world,
Because of them;
I am a boy not a girl,
You better say sorry to them.

Speaking of them,
I have a story to tell;
My Mom and my Dad,
My heart lives in them.

My Mom is from Ipoh,
People call her leng loi;
People there are not gopoh,
Even Lat set Ipoh for Town Boy.

My Mommy got married to my Daddy,
When she was sixteen;
From Ipoh to the Malacca Street,
People call her sweet.

A talented lady is she,
Especially in embroidery;
Sewing for everyone kasut manek,
Also to my late beloved nenek.

She knows the Peranakan culture so well,
You can see it in her cooking style;
A true housewife is she,
I can say she is my father’s blessing.

Now forty six,
Happy to mix;
Married for thirty years,
You can see the joy in her tears.

Recently she sews for me,
A goldfish kasut manek;
It reminds me of Aunty Kim,
There is this popular goldfish motive I did not take.

My Mom sews it for my graduation,
How thoughtful of her!
She even got me a MP3 for relaxation,
It is to let me know I am with her.

Since I already got my peacock done,
I requested for one;
If my Mom gets to find it,
I will sew another beaded shoe for me!

My second kebaya is almost ready,
It will be ever so green;
Do not ever think that I am greedy,
It is to make me grin.

There is a story behind it,
And I shall end this poem with it;
The motive is dragon green,
That is why I said I would grin.

It shows the bravery in me,
It shows the dancer in me;
I am as fierce as it is,
I am as flexible as it is.

So this is my real life story,
From my childhood till tertiary;
Nothing is easy,
And I am not lazy.
                                                                                                 
Do not test my patience,
Or I will put you into dungeons;
I would say, “Behold the dragon!”
Even if you are in Copenhagen! 

No comments: